Saturday, September 14, 2013

Free Motion Quilting with the Janome 7700

 

Free Motion Quilting

I am so pleased with my Janome New Home 7700. I exclusively use it for free motion quilting. There is a BIG learning curve for free motion quilting that includes thread and needle combinations, and matching machine rhythm to eye, hand and foot coordination, as well as batting choices. 



The 7700 arrived in February 2013 and we bonded almost immediately!  My free motion quilting has improved dramatically. I do admit,  that the arrival of  7700 came at right time in my request to learn free motion quilting. I had already made and recovered from rookie mistakes. Do not get me wrong, there is still so much I want and need to learn in free motion quilting. 


I have learned so much from quilters, Leah Day, and  Patsy Thompson when I first began learning free motion quilting a few years ago. Now, I am learning from Ann Petersen,  and Cindy Needham too!


Whether you are just getting started with free motion quilting or a veteran I would love to hear about your experiences with the process. Share a link in the comments to your blog post about your free motion quilting challenges and victories. I love the worldwide quilting community!  I am learning so much. Thank you!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such beautiful work. I'm a beginner myself--only comfortable with one FMQ pattern, trying to learn more. But you are so right--there are so many little things one must consider before actually sitting down at the machine like the thread, batting, needle, etc.

    Thanks for sharing links to teachers you've used. I'll be visiting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,
    Thanks so much for taking time to comment. Yeah, I did stippling for a LONG time before I got the courage to branch out. If you like, you can read more about that journey on my "official" blog at http://livinh20.tumblr.com/guild.

    I hope you do get a chance to visit these ladies. Leah Day and Patsy Thompson both have free Youtube videos on FMQ. Their videos helped me a great deal.

    Dena

    ReplyDelete